International Book Awards Finalist
A property harbouring a gruesome secret goes up for sale. Two men —perhaps, the wrong men —are shot in plain daylight. Nothing is what it seems. And matters do not turn out as anticipated. De Angelis, an inscrutable northerner, is travelling to a small town perched somewhere in Sicily's hinterland to negotiate a real estate transaction, only to find himself embroiled in a criminal conspiracy. While en route, the train he's on mysteriously breaks down, forcing him to spend the night in a squalid whistle stop. What follows is a web of unsettling events, involving child prostitution and brazen killings, that lead to the abrupt demise of his business deal. But De Angelis is undeterred and intent on discovering what went wrong with his transaction. As he embarks on a reckless sleuthing, an unexpected turn of events sends him into a tailspin. At the heart of it is an alluring blue-eyed girl, Marinella. The chance encounter with the eleven-year-old traps him in a psychological and moral cul-de-sac, leaving him no choice but to confront the type of man he really is.
Guernica Editions (Essential Prose Series)
236 pages |
The novel reads like an instant classic, at first conjuring Hemingway’s simple, modern prose, but then revealing something sinister and surreal that would be more at home in Kafka’s wild imagination.
The Transaction is a smart book. One that knows exactly what it is and what it’s trying to say ... It’s a cerebral pleasure more than it is a visceral one ... I liked it because it explored the idea of the disappearance of the self, which I’m really interested in, and it does it in a subtle way [that] doesn’t call too much attention to itself.
- The Guglielmo D’Izzia Interview with James M. Fisher
- GET LIT James Tennant interview with Guglielmo D'Izzia
- Reading of The Transaction with 2020 Debuts
- Guglielmo D'Izzia at Librissimi Italian Book Festival
- Guglielmo D'Izzia's Guernica Virtual Launch
- Canadian Authors Association Words with Writers Podcast Ep. #13 w/ Guglielmo D'Izzia
- interview on Howl - CIUT 89.5FM with Nancy Jane Bullis
- Town Crier: Interview with Guglielmo D’Izzia // Emma Rhodes
- Guglielmo D'Izzia's Author Website
- The Commentary Interview with Joseph Planta
- Available on Audible
Marina Nemat Award
Crime Writers of Canada Awards of Excellence Best Crime First Fiction
Foreword INDIES Book of the Year Awards (Mystery Category) Finalist
International Book Awards (Literary Fiction Category) Finalist
The Miramichi Reader’s “The Very Best!” Book Awards (Most Promising Author)
Eric Hoffer Awards Grand Prize
AICW Bressani Literary Prize